National Service Scheme Unit of AITAM is associated with the college advisory committee constituted for the academic year 2013-14 with the principal as chairman and five staff members with Social Service background. Besides, student leaders, Representatives of Departments and various villeges and one NSS Programme Officer accompany and lead the unit to accomplish the programme and its activities throughout the year. An evaluation of the work of the unit and enlisted the students’ participation is taken up every now and then which inturn will help the unit to apply and take up various projects.
The more specific objective of the National Service Scheme is to arouse in the students social conscience and to provide him/her with opportunity.
- To work with and among people.
- To engage themselves in creative and constructive social action among student community and indoctrinate a sense of dignity of labour.
- To engage his/her knowledge of himself/herself and the community through a confrontation with reality of social life.
- To put his/her scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some of the problems.
- To gain skills in the exercise of democratic leadership.
- To gain skills in programme development to enable him/her for self-employment.
- To bridge the gulf between the educated and the uneducated masses; and
- To promote the will to serve the weaker sections of the community.
Dr. B. Balaram